Our baby

Our baby
18 weeks pregnant

Thursday, January 13, 2011

Update 1/13/11

Ok so I finally get a chance to tell you ladies about my crazy day. Let me just start off by saying that prayer and positive thinking works.
So as you ladies know, 4 weeks ago Monday my water broke. I was down to 1.8cm of fluid and pretty much told to go home to wait to lose my baby. I was doing the weekly follow ups with my peri and my OB and just praying against hope that things would go well. Every week it seemed that more fluid was building so I just kept praying. Last Wednesday at my last Peri appointment I was told that my cervix was at 2.2cm and that I needed to have a cerclage done because we needed to do everything to keep this baby cooking. My fluids were up to 17cm as well. So it seemed like one problem "controlled" another problem starting. So on Monday I went to THE hospital that does the cerclages downtown to meet with their doctor, made my mom and David both come for support. I have been researching cerclages after pPROM and everything I read said that it wasn't done because of risk of infection. I figured I would go in, listen to what was said and make my decision. Infection is my biggest risk right now. So we get there and they want to do some measurements before starting anything so David and I get into the room and they do the abdominal ultrasound first. Baby girl looks great, growing perfectly, fluid looks great. Then the tech says it's time to do your transvaginal ultrasound and the doctor wants to be in there for that one. Ok here goes, I'm thinking what are they going to tell me now? While they are looking at the screen the doctor asks me, "Why do you think you are here?" So I tell him I have a short cervix. He says ok. Let's talk when you get dressed. I'm still paranoid thinking he's going to say it got shorter. My cervix is a freaking 3.9cm! Not 2.2cm like I was told a week ago. He says that just looking at my ultrasounds he never would have known I was high risk because my fluid is great and my cervix isn't short at all. He asked me was I sure my water broke and questions as to why they thought it was. He said he can't talk for the ER that I went to and because my subsequent ultrasounds showed low fluid that it appears that my water broke but it must have sealed over. He also can't explain why my cervix is longer today than last week. Basically he said that at the moment, he wouldn't consider me high risk however because there was this past evidence he would still make me take the bedrest precautions. He's going to pass this information to my peri and my OB but he says that things look great.

No comments:

Post a Comment